- Personal Mobile Workplace - Government IT organizations may have an illusion of control, … However, the reality is that employees, depending on demographics, personal preferences and pressure to improve performance, can decide how much they want to use corporate information and applications versus personal information and applications.
- Mobile Citizen Engagement - Several inquiries with Gartner government clients reveal an interest in providing citizen-facing services using mobile devices, as well as leveraging social software functionalities.
- Big Data and Actionable Analytics – Governments are searching for ways to use big data to gain business process efficiencies and reduce costs, but are having limited success.
- Cost Effective Open Data – Governments become both providers of open data to each other and to the public at large (the latter just for public data) and consumers of open data coming from other parts of government as well as from businesses, NGOs and citizen communities.
- Citizen Managed Data - Citizen data vaults are services that provide data subjects with the ability to access their data outside the context of a particular government transaction, allowing them much-finer-grained control over when and how data can be accessed, and by whom, within the relevant legal framework that they are subject to.
- Hybrid IT and Cloud – The main objectives pushing cloud adoption have been cost reduction, speed of procurement and deployment, and responsiveness to regulations and needs for cost cutting. The public cloud is also gaining momentum as governments seek savings via consolidated procurement.
- Internet of Things – Governments, as well as most enterprises and technology vendors, have yet to explore the possibilities of an expanded Internet and are not operationally or organizationally ready.
- Cross Domain Interoperability – Smart government initiatives depend on interoperable information, data obtained from external as well as internal sources, and processing and delivery networks that effectively integrate planning, performance analysis and business operations.
- Business Process management (BPM) for Case Management - There isn’t one market for case management because all cases are not the same.
- Gamification for Engagement – Gamification can be used by government to motivate interactions with citizens or to achieve more meaningful levels of engagement with employees.
Elsewhere our Government is seeking to smarten more of us up via their Digital Inclusion Strategy aiming to reduce the number of people who are offline by 25% by 2016.
We hope they achieve, or in fact exceed, their target.