That’s according to Vision Mobile (The leading research company in the app economy) who at the behest of Google have “… set out to assess the state of the UK app industry in 2014 and find out whether the UK is on the right track to becoming a vibrant and global hub for the app economy.”
“The UK App Economy is a research report that charts the mobile app economy in the region, investigating revenues, jobs, the profile of the British app developer, and how the UK can provide better opportunities for developers. This report contains the findings from the UK App Developer Census, an online survey of 300+ UK mobile app developers”.
Amongst their conclusions / “takeaways” are that the UK app industry:
- will exceed £4 billion in revenues in 2014
- will be growing at a CAGR of 38% between 2013 and 2015 and 22% between 2013 and 2025
- has approximately 8,000 companies that are directly involved in app development
- has approximately 380,000 jobs centred around the app economy
- they expect, will create approximately 30,000 new jobs in the next 12 months.
So “The UK is certainly among the top global tech hubs with several metrics indicating that it is in fact the biggest tech hub in Europe and most likely the second most important tech hub after the US. In 2013 the UK accounted for over a third of the total app revenues generated in EU28 and slightly less than a fifth of all app developers in the EU28”.
Much more besides in this excellent report which can be downloaded on registration.