As part of his address to the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona Mr Zuckerberg also mentioned Deloitte‘s report Value of connectivity – Economic and social benefits of expanding internet access which was produced for Facebook, basically in support of internet.org’s mission of extending the internet to the 2/3 of the world’s population who currently have no access.
As detailed in the important Notice from Deloitte, repeated in full below, this is an assessment and they go to some lengths in detailing its scope & limitations.
In spite of all the caveats it’s definitely worth reading.
The, sort of, headlines are :
- Internet connectivity has already changed many aspects of the lives of individuals in developed economies and provided far-reaching economic and social benefits. Extending these opportunities is critical to accelerating economic and social growth in developing economies, while enabling the transition from a resource-based to a knowledge-based economy.
- Deloitte estimates that the resulting economic activity could generate $2.2 trillion in additional GDP, a 72% increase in the GDP growth rate, and more than 140 million new jobs.
- Internet-enabled devices are already transforming the way healthcare professionals operate in developing countries by allowing remote diagnosis and more efficient ways of treatment.
- Deloitte estimates that by extending internet penetration another 640 million children may be able to access the internet and the wealth of information it makes available while they study.
- Governments should recognise the importance of the internet in complementing the delivery of healthcare, education and other social services and should promote investment in the development of innovative solutions in these areas targeted to their communities
- The internet allows all of the world to join the knowledge economy.
This report (the “Report”) has been prepared by Deloitte LLP (“Deloitte”) for Facebook Inc. (“Facebook”) on the basis of the scope and limitations set out below.
The Report has been prepared solely for the purposes of assessing the economic and social impact of extending internet access. It should not be used for any other purpose or in any other context, and Deloitte accepts no responsibility for its use in either regard including their use by Facebook for decision making or reporting to third parties.
The Report is provided exclusively for Facebook’s use under the terms of the contract between Deloitte and Facebook. No party other than Facebook is entitled to rely on the Report for any purpose whatsoever and Deloitte accepts no responsibility or liability or duty of care to any party other than Facebook in respect of the Report and/or any of its contents.
As set out in the Contract, the scope of our work has been limited by the time, information and explanations made available to us. Where information contained in the Report has been obtained from third party sources they are clearly referenced in the appropriate sections of the Report. Any results from the analysis contained in the Report are reliant on the information available at the time of
writing the Report and should not be relied upon in subsequent periods.
Accordingly, no representation or warranty, express or implied, is given and no responsibility or liability is or will be accepted by or on behalf of Deloitte or Facebook or by any of their respective partners, employees or agents or any other person as to the accuracy, completeness or correctness of the information contained in this document or any oral information made available and any such liability is expressly disclaimed.
All copyright and other proprietary rights in the Report remain the property of Deloitte LLP and/or Facebook and any rights not expressly granted in these terms are reserved.
This Report and its contents do not constitute financial or other professional advice, and specific advice should be sought about your specific circumstances. In particular, the Report does not constitute a recommendation or endorsement by Deloitte or Facebook to invest or participate in, exit, or otherwise use any of the markets or companies referred to in it. To the fullest extent possible, both Deloitte and Facebook disclaim any liability arising out of the use (or non-use) of the Report and its contents, including any action or decision taken as a result of such use (or non-use).