A rather nice graphic from mBlox in their eight country attitude survey Mobile Engagement: What Consumers Really Think got us considering about how the Digital Revolution has lead to advertising media proliferation.
In sort of chronological order:
- Newspaper adverts first appeared in 1704 according to Ad Age
- Billboards sort of started appearing in the early to mid 1800’s
- TV advertising appeared 72 years ago for the first time in 1941 and it was from Bulova the watch maker
- Emails first appeared in the early 1980’s and we’re sure adverts followed remarkably quickly!
- Website ads came along around a decade later and October 27 1994 is quoted as the date of a first banner ad ‘s appearance. Wired claim this one.
- SMS ads followed on again predictably quickly after the first message was allegedly sent in Finland in December 1994.
- Social Media advertising unsurprisingly first appeared on the ubiquitous Facebook in April 2004.
So there we have it then!
With apologies to Marshall McLuhan for our header based on the phrase used in his 1964 book Understanding Media: The extensions of Man - “The Medium is the Message”.