Their indicated timescales are:
- 24 July 2012 – Consultation start date
- 11 September 2012 – Consultation end date
- End 2012 – Invitations to bid issued
- Beginning 2013- Bidding starts
- March 2013 – Licences awarded
- Mid 2013 – Mobile operators start 4G roll-out
- Later in 2013 – First consumer services available
In connection with the announcement Ofcom issued a rather useful media briefing (pdf) which outlines both the technology and the process.
Hopefully now that the starting pistol has been fired there won’t be any undue delays but we have some doubts. We will not be amongst the leading countries who have this technology!
In these challenging times improved communication achieved through speedier broadband infrastructures we regard as being of paramount importance.