Having introduced Sky Go for both existing customers and others (primarily on a subscription basis). “Sky today announced that its new internet TV service, offering access to Sky content on a wide range of broadband-connected devices….” will be called NOW TV
It will launch this summer with Sky Movies and other content will follow.
Sky are pushing (at least in their Press release) that this is a new brand and we have to admit that we are initially impressed with the logo which has an immediate impact.
Sky Chief Executive Jeremy Darroch on its announcement says “The launch of a second brand is an exciting opportunity for us and the rationale is very simple. Having two brands will allow us to meet the needs and preferences of different customer segments more effectively.”
The release continues “The Key features of the NOW TV experience will include:
- Great content – the new service will offer some of Sky’s most popular programming. Sky Movies will be available from launch and the service will expand to offer sport and entertainment soon afterwards.
- Flexible pricing – with no minimum contract, customers will be able to choose from a variety of pricing options. For example, people will be able to pay monthly for unlimited access to Sky Movies or rent a single movie on a simple, pay-as-you-go basis.
- Easy access – the new service will roll out across a wide range of connected devices, including PCs, Macs, laptops, tablets, mobile phones, games consoles and connected TVs.
- Ease of use – with immediate streaming through an intuitive interface, backed up by recommendations and editorial support, customers will quickly and easily find the content they most want to watch.”
The announcement was made at the Media Guardian Changing Media Summit 2012 today as part of Jeremy Darrochs keynote speech which can be downloaded in full as a pdf.
It sounds to us as if some of the flexibility, announced as part of Sky Go to receive non subscription services, is being transferred to the new NOW TV . The differentiation made in Jeremy Darroch’s speech between the two offerings is: “We’ll offer two distinct ways to watch:
- the full, market-leading Sky service for the whole family, complete with the widest range of channels, high quality products like Sky+, HD and Sky Go, as well as the peace of mind of a monthly bill;
- or the flexible, more spontaneous, pay as you go service of NOW TV”
We’re in favour as it recognises the importance of internet TV and can be on a pay as you go basis which, as we previously mentioned we think is the future where we can watch “what we want, when we want it and where we want it” S’pose we could call it the dozen W’s!
Sky have set up a holding page where you can register your interest in NOW TV (Not sure if we’ve got the name right ie the TV element!)
The domain name Nowtv.com, held by MarkMonitor, was last updated yesterday and was originally created on 14th May 1995 which actually just predates SkyTV.com (14 July 1995).